The Research Computing and Data Capabilities Model (RCD CM) allows institutions to assess their support for computationally- and data-intensive research, to identify potential areas for improvement, and to understand how the broader community views Research Computing and Data support. The Model was developed by a diverse group of institutions with a range of support models, in a collaboration among Internet2, CaRCC, and EDUCAUSE. This Assessment Tool is designed for use by a range of roles at each institution, from front-line support through campus leadership, and is intended to be inclusive across small and large, and public and private institutions.
How can this Model benefit your institution?
The Model can help you answer these questions:
- How well is my institution supporting computationally- and data-intensive research, and how can we get a comprehensive view of our support?
- What is my institution not thinking about or missing that the community has identified as significant?
- How can my institution (and my group) identify potential areas for improvement?
How can your institution use the Model?
Get access to the model by completing this Access Request Form. That will create an individualized copy of the v1.1 RCD CM Assessment tool for your institution. Then, read the Introduction and Guide to Use, and gather your team to complete the assessment. The Assessment Tool is structured as a series of factors across a range of perspectives. To complete the assessment and use it in your strategic planning efforts:
- Gather your team and answer the questions about different areas. The model provides a measure of your coverage for each area, and for Research Computing and Data as a whole.
- Your team can mark specific areas for attention; the model will include these as part of your summary.
- Your team can set goals for each of your priority areas, as part of your strategic planning to improve your institution’s capabilities.
When you’re done with your assessment, use the Community Dataset Submission Form to submit. This will add your assessment to the RCD CM community dataset, and provide the basis for an individualized benchmarking report. As a contributor, you’ll get access to a detailed report on the community dataset, and can even dig into the anonymized, aggregated data if you wish.
Get help from the RCD CM working group:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to request engagement from one of our trained facilitators.
- Subscribe to the email@example.com discussion list (click here to join). Hear how other institutions are completing their assessment and using it as part of strategic planning.
- Joining our RCD CM Office Hours on the second Tuesdays of the month at 1pm ET
- Check out slides and recordings from our previous webinars, workshops, etc.